If you and your financial services organization are in the process of making decisions regarding a new SharePoint installation or platform, you must consider many factors, especially if you are planning to use SharePoint for processes and documents that support your customers.
SharePoint comes in many flavors and offers many opportunities that depend on which platform you choose. These options are:
* SharePoint Online / Office 365
* SharePoint hosted in Azure (or other Cloud Hosting Providers)
* SharePoint on-premises
* Hybrid environments (using 2 or more of these options together)
The choice of which platform is right for you is based on many factors including the following:
* Do you want to integrate SharePoint with internal systems?
* Do you want to have full control over your platform?
* Do you have sufficient IT staff to support SharePoint?
* What will your IT budget support?
* And many more …
One piece of the puzzle must be addressed regardless of all other consideration factors. You must comply with the laws applicable to your industry. So, before you make your decision, you need to understand your regulatory environment and the corresponding required IT controls.
Stay tuned for an in depth discussion about regulatory environments and the corresponding IT controls.